Saturday, July 10, 2010

Thing #15

What is the future of libraries and the future of the web in 10 years? When I think of how much the library at our school has changed I'm amazed. i Pods, wii's, Mac books, kids sitting around listening to their music, making music on Garage Band, and some still reading books. The furniture is different with almost the old soda fountain decor. But the biggest change is-----there are more kids in the library and that's because they have fun in there.

These readings were fun because it made me think of where we are going even if I have no idea. I'm one of the "older" teachers at my school and I didn't grow up with computers so I have had to adapt to new teaching styles. Let me say it has not been easy and I still kick and scream sometimes; but I have confidence in my students and they carry me with them.

Probably just when the district installs the last Active Board, we'll be off and running in a new direction. Maybe not me but some of you will.  That certainly doesn't mean we shouldn't have installed the Active Boards but things are changing so rapidly that I see the next big step is all the students will have a lap top and be more responsible for their own learning with teacher guidance. The Active Board is still a teacher directed way to teach and after reading these articles it looks like we will be learning in communities. 

Our librarian has done a fantastic job of keeping us in the mix. She provides us with materials and outreach, but also she listens to the students and bases services on their needs. She has a great web site so kids do not have to go the the "library" to get help, they can get on their computer in the classroom or at home and find what they need.

What will libraries look like in 10 years, I don't know? Hopefully, something like this.

"But Library 4.0 will add a new mode, knowledge spa:  meditation, relaxation, immersion in a luxury of ideas and thought. In companies, this may take the form of retreat space for thought leaders, considered an investment in innovation; in public libraries, the luxurious details will require private partners as sponsors providing the sensory treats. Library 4.0 revives the old image of a country house library, and renovates it: from a retreat, a sanctuary, a pampered experience with information—subtle thoughts, fine words, exquisite brandy, smooth coffee, aromatic cigar, smell of leather, rustle of pages—to the dream economy’s library, the LIBRARY: a WiFREE space, a retreat from technohustle, with comfortable chairs, quiet, good light, coffee and single malt. You know, the library. 

I'll meet you there! "
 
http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/6.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment